Covid Response & Information
This page contains information for our students/parents/carers about how the school is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. It will be updated regularly as Government and Local Authority guidance is released
Updates from the Headteacher
UPDATE: Weds Sept 9th
Following a review of systems at the school and the latest changes to how we are able to operate nationally in response to this increase in confirmed Covid-19 cases, we are making some adjustments to how we operate as a school from tomorrow (Thursday). At the moment we have had no reported cases at school, and we want to keep it that way. We need to be pragmatic and adjust when we think it will improve outcomes to keep everyone as safe as possible in a school environment.
You must have a plain, hygienic face mask and a hygienic bag to carry it in. You must wear the mask when you are moving in corridors and the canteen area at all times, and are encouraged to continue wearing them when you are outside close to other students. You do not need to wear them when out on the open field. There is no change in lessons – face masks should not be worn in the classroom. You must follow the clear guidance on how to safely wear a mask – there are lots of information posters around the school giving advice on this. You need to make sure you clean your face mask regularly, or change it. If you use a disposal mask, this must be disposed of in a bin. They MUST NOT be left around in the open. Staff are encouraged to wear face masks in corridors and the canteen area, but wearing masks is not compulsory for staff because they may need to communicate with you in order to carry out their responsibilities effectively.
- In your free time, you stay within your year group as currently, but you must make sure you are in groups of no more than SIX.
- From tomorrow we are going to TRIAL removing the one-way system OUTSIDE (the one-way system in the buildings will remain as it is currently). This will be for Thursday and Friday to see if this improves flow in certain areas of the school. If it does not improve the flow then we will adjust the one-way system and move back to this from Monday. For this to work, you must always KEEP TO THE LEFT when moving outside.
- If you travel on the school coaches or on public transport you MUST WEAR A MASK. This is no change from the current situation, but I thought it would be helpful to remind you of this.
- When travelling to school and home from school, make sure you do so quickly and not in groups of more than six.
- As always, consider carefully your actions outside the school at all times. Follow the guidance and make sure you uphold our values as a school in whatever you do.
UPDATE: Fri Aug 21st
You have had all the detail previously, but to avoid any doubt, I have included some of the key information again below to help you with the start to school. Attached to this communication is our overall strategy for return that you may wish to check through.
If you have PE or dance on a particular day, you must arrive and spend the day in your PE or dance kit. This is to avoid the need for changing.
You will be spending your break and lunchtimes OUTSIDE rather than in tutor rooms as normal. You will also be eating your food outside. Remember to always bring your school coat with you (even if it is warm in the morning) just in case the weather deteriorates during the day. There is no Open Access at the start of term.
We have moved to a new system for payment for food at break and lunchtimes. You will receive your new Sandringham Access Badge at the start of term which will be used to pay for food and drink. This must be loaded with money by parents/carers through the online system. There will be no facility for accepting cash. Further details of this will be sent separately from the finance office.
- Masks should be worn when using corridors or other common areas eg Hall & Canteen.
- Masks should not be worn in the classroom or any practical lesson. Masks must be removed if instructed by a member of staff.
- When not in use masks should be placed in a sealable hygienic plastic bag.
- The mask must be plain, changed daily and taken home for disposal or replacement. Bandanas and similar coverings are not permitted.
The entire site is now ready for our new way of working including the new one-way system. You must follow all the new health and safety procedures put in place and as you will imagine, if you deliberately put the safety of either yourself or others (students or staff) at risk due to poor behaviour you will be dealt with most severely.
Finally, another reminder that you should be very careful travelling to and from school, avoiding being in large groups and loitering in the streets. Our local community is anxious about large numbers of you being on the streets so we clearly want to be respectful to them.