Careers and Higher Education
Post 18, there are a myriad of choices and potential options that students can pursue and one of the aims of the Sixth Form is to help students to prepare for the next step in their lives. Through our comprehensive ‘Futures’ programme we hope to enable and inspire students to be able to make informed decisions as well as understanding enough about the world of work to know what skills and qualifications they need to succeed.
Our programme enables students to be successful in gaining offers to the universities of their choice as well as offering tailored support for anyone interested in applying for higher and degree level apprenticeships. Dedicated staff are on hand for specific support and advice for Oxbridge, Medicine/Veterinary/Dentistry and other highly competitive applications as well as 1:1 mentoring and support for apprenticeship applications.
The main programme commences in February of Year 12 with specific sessions focusing on future pathways followed by an enrichment day in March to launch university preparation. In June of Year 12, we have a further event focusing on applications, which includes seminars with subject specialist staff and outside speakers and employers. The application process continues with many sessions continuing into Year 13.
Support provided includes:
- A termly careers newsletter and monthly careers bulletin giving information about opportunities to attend a variety of taster courses, insight days and careers events
- Allocated time and support to undertake work experience and volunteering
- One to one appointment with a trained Careers Advisor
- A variety of higher education and employer talks throughout the year
- Attendance at sessions run by our Regional Coordinator through the ‘Apprenticeship Support and Knowledge’ programme
- Mock interviews with employers